Thursday, November 24, 2005

Today's physiotherapy

I finally got over to Lyndhurst for physiotherapy. I got there a little late because Wheeltrans scheduled my pickup way too late and the driver was late. They said that I should tell them I want to get there at 3:30 instead of 4PM. So I'm supposed to read their minds and prevent them from being stupid. It's also clear that pre-booking is a waste of time as it seems you have to call them the day before to be sure they actually schedule the ride properly. I was discussiing this with Josh when I was at the hospital and that's what he suggested. They don't seem too swift over there.

So today we worked on some standing up straight, very difficult because my knees don't want to cooperate. We worked with a medicine ball for the first time and walked with the parallel bars again. William seems to think that the K-Walker is too short for me. What else is new? God help you if you're taller than average height in the medical system. Nothing fits. That's why I can't wait to get my new custom made power chair.

My pal Stuart is confined to bed again after getting a sore on his butt. This may have been caused by some difficulties they had with him when he went to Toronto Western yesterday for a CT scan. It seems they don't have portable lifts there and six people had to lift him from his chair to the CT scan bed. Ugh! You have to be very careful about your butt when confined to a wheelchair. People wonder why I'm always moving around in the chair. I'm trying to relieve pressure on my butt because if you have a problem, you could be bed ridden for weeks. That's not happening to me. Stuart says he's being discharged on Tuesday and will stay in a nursing home until his house is ready in February. The problem is he won't get proper care in a nursing home and Stuart still needs daily physiotherapy. I'll see if he's still there when I return to the hospital on Tuesday.

It looks like we got the rest of that snowstorm today. The traffic was pretty bad on the way home. It doesn't look too bad from the tenth floor but I may have a different opinion after I go outside tomorrow morning. But I don't expect to get stuck in the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment