Saturday, June 03, 2006

Yahoo LAUNCHCAST song of the day

Artist:Arlo Guthrie
Song:Alice's Restaurant Massacree
Album:The Best of Arlo Guthrie




As the son of folksinging icon Woody Guthrie, Arlo Guthrie grew up around his dad's folkie pals like Pete Seeger. But because Arlo surfaced as a performer in the late 60s, he added loopy humour and counterculture references to the standard social commentary of contemporaries like Tom Paxton & Phil Ochs. Alice's Restaurant is supposedly a true story that turned Arlo into a cult figure because it was 18 minutes long. He even starred in the film version directed by Arthur Penn. This comp is probably the best way to get it because it also includes Arlo's hit version of Steve Goodman's City Of New Orleans. Also Guthrie is still around recording on his own Rising Son label. But Alice's Restaurant is his legacy.




I had a great time at the People In Motion show yesterday. My plan is to write a couple of articles about the show; an overview and also a look at new products & new government regulations. But I have to talk to Bev at the CPA before I do that and I will talk to her on Monday. The deadline is the end of next week but I'm not concerned about that as I already know what I want to write. I just have to type it out. I just want to make sure it's OK to do a series of articles first.

No comments:

Post a Comment