Friday, September 22, 2006

LAMP's annual general meeting

The LAMP Community Health Centre had their annual general meeting last night at The Assembly Hall. Apparently it's their 30th anniversary too. I jokingly said that I wanted to see what The Man Who Would Be Prime Minister, Michael Ignatieff, had to say. But really I didn't expect him to say much of anything. These kind of community organizations are dependent on government funding so it's not like they're going to be hostile to him or hostile to local Ontario government MPP Laurel Broten for that matter. She was there too.




LAMP is a pretty good organization and they do have some good programs. It's just that none of those programs are of any use to me. As many of you are aware, my agenda is to advocate for the disabled. One way to do that is to approach an organization like LAMP. If I want to exercise or undergo supervised physiotherapy, I have to go across the city to do that. There's nothing available in this area. There are plenty of disabled people but no services for them. Obviously I want to do something about that. LAMP knows how to get funding for these type of programs. And with my gift of gab, I can help them sell it. The usual problem is LAMP doesn't have anyone disabled on staff to advocate for the disabled. So I was chatting up some of the LAMP staff and one of them turned out to be LAMP Program Director Bill Worrall. I will follow up with him next week and we'll have a meeting and see what can be done. It's not going to happen tomorrow but this is a good way to get things rolling. I'm not sure where this could go but I'll do what I have to do to get something done.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:23 PM

    Wonderful that you are doing something to help the disabled. Keep the good work, lad.

    Joe Bhikram

    ReplyDelete