Thursday, September 21, 2006

Yahoo LAUNCHCAST song of the day


Artist:Randy Newman

Song:Sail Away

Album:Sail Away





These days Randy Newman is probably better known for his film scores but he started as a singer songwriter with a wicked sense of humour that was frequently misinterpreted. He comes by his film music honestly as uncles Alfred & Lionel were film score legends. In the late 60s he started recording but his vocal style isn't for everyone. His pal Harry Nilsson did a whole record of his songs and that turned more people on to Newman's music. Newman has described Sail Away as a recruitment song for slaves. It's obviously satirical but like his big hit Short People, some people don't get his humour. Rhino rereleased Sail Away in a remastered version in 2002. It still holds up today.





The Lakeshore Area Medical Project (LAMP) is a community centre and they're having their annual meeting tonight at The Assembly Hall. The guest speaker is MP Michael Ignatieff or as I call him, The Man Who Would Be Prime Minister. No, I didn't vote for him. It's within rolling distance so I'm going to see what he has to say and I will try to conceal my sarcasm when writing about it later. The only time I went to LAMP was to have my taxes done. I don't know if they're much use otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment