Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Today's TTC Wheeltrans ACAT seminar


I was at City Hall today for the TTC Wheeltrans Advisory Committee for Accessible Transportation seminar. But first, I wanted to talk about today's weather. It was raining on and off all day and if I wasn't going to this meeting, I would have normally stayed home. It was raining a bit when I went out this morning but it was pouring on my way back. Fortunately, I was wearing my rain suit so I stayed dry but the chair got wet. That's one of the most common questions people ask. "Aren't you afraid the chair will rust?" Uh, no. These power chairs are very durable and I don't expect any problems like that. People who see me rolling down the street in that kind of weather must think I'm nuts. Wait until the snow comes.





My ride was a little late but the driver did a very good job of avoiding an accident on the Gardiner Expressway so I got there in plenty of time. I got a back bacon on a bun for lunch outside City Hall (Canadian bacon to you Yankees) and took the elevator upstairs to the committee room. The Advisory Committee for Accessible Transportation is a citizen based group that advises the TTC on accessibility issues. It's not only about Wheeltrans but accessibility within the transit system as a whole. They have monthly meetings and several sub-committees that have their own meetings. It's a three year term and you get a free Metropass too. They give out applications only to people who attend the seminar. They want to make sure people are serious. The applications need to be in by the end of the month. I suspect a lot of people don't apply when they are aware of the time commitment. I filled mine out while I was there. They will call six people for interviews and select three to be on the committee starting in January 2007.





I'd like to get involved in it. For one thing, it will give me something to write about but my background in marketing & call center customer service is something that could be very useful. I understand they're making some changes in their call center. Of course it's another way to advocate disabled issues too. I'll let you all know if I hear from them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Frank,
    Great to see you getting involved. Hope you get onto the commitee, you would make realpositive contributions.
    (surprise - I'm at a desk for work today) Tomorrow I'm on the road again. Monday I move to a rural country site when not travelleing which will be great, not too far from my new home and the drive will be beautiful, I love the countryside, can't wait.
    Anyway take care
    Amy xxx

    ReplyDelete