Thursday, October 19, 2006

Ward 6 all candidates meeting

As I mentioned briefly yesterday, the Toronto municipal election is on Nov. 13. Last night there was an all candidates meeting in Ward 6, known as Etobicoke Lakeshore. This was at The Assembly Hall at Kipling & Lakeshore, just a short roll from my apartment. If I'm going to vote, I want to know who's running. There are nine candidates. There are hot button issues in this riding such as the "brownfields" (don't ask), hookers & drug dealers, a recent skateboard park controversy and industry in a residential area. These are not my issues. Public transit is an issue but accessible transit and accessibility as a whole is sweeped under the rug. I'm there to make sure that doesn't happen as I was the only wheelchair in attendance. CITY-TV was there so I might make it to air on tonight's news. Just look for a power chair in the front row and if there's any video I'll send it later.




Mark Grimes is the current councillor in Ward 6. Typically, he has a target on his back. But there is only one candidate that I am considering as an alternative. The incumbent has a huge advantage and he will win anyway because most people don't take the time to inform themselves and will vote for him out of ignorance. People are going to bitch regardless even if he's done a good job. Nothing happens overnight. So I like him and he's been in office for three years and knows the ropes. Anyone new would have to learn the ropes just like he did.




Let's start with the candidates I eliminated immediately. One guy didn't show up. Danuta Markewicz seems like a very earnest woman. Her major concern is the "brownfields". But she speaks in a very thick Polish accent and everything she said was scripted. That's not acceptable. You have to be able to think on your feet or you'll get eaten alive. She should invest in a public speaking course. Walter Melnyk kept talking about a Bill Of Rights he printed but he couldn't seem to verbalize it. He made some vague comments about taxes and didn't really participate in the Q & A. He would also benefit from a public speaking course. Greg Wowchuk claims to be an experienced politician but he made the fatal mistake of concentrating on negative attacks on Mark Grimes. What's he gonna do? He's a perennial candidate but has he ever won an election? He also tried to say that the Islington subway staion is accessible and it isn't.





We also had two candidates come up with concepts that they think will be attractive to voters but aren't realistic. They will never get elected and even if they do city council will never do either of these things. And this is what they're hanging their hats on. Rosalie Chalmers' main topic is to build a Lakeshore Village Town Hall to rejuvenate the area. Who's going to pay for that? Besides, The Assembly Hall is performing that function. Matthew Day wants to build a Lakeshore local express train that would run from Long Branch station to Union Station downtown using existing train tracks that aren't being used. He wants to relieve traffic congestion and improve transit service. Sounds like a good idea? But the current streetcars running on Lakeshore aren't accessible and until the TTC is completely accessible, this doesn't make sense. How is he going to sell this concept to a guy sitting in a power chair? It's not something he wanted to address. And I did speak to him afterwards. He's a nice guy but no thanks.





Like Greg Wowchuk, George Kash is a perennial candidate for this position. George is a local character and entertainer. He has no chance of winning but I think he runs to keep the other candidates honest. As a result, his ideas are somewhat vague. I wonder what he would do if he won. I spoke to George afterwards and we were discussing the state of sidewalk curbs. He's a nice guy and wouldn't mind hanging around with him or even work on projects to benefit the disabled with him but I'm not voting for him. Sorry, George. Don't take it personally. I'll throw him a bone. Here's a link to his website. http://www.georgekash.com/





Jem Cain is the one candidate I am considering voting for. She is very well spoken and can think on her feet. She's a local activist who was instrumental in preventing a concrete plant from being constructed in a residential area. She uses personal experience to illustrate her campaign issues. That's a good sign. I am concerned if she is assertive enough for Toronto city council. Sometimes you can't be nice. When the lions bite, you have to bite back. I spoke to Jem afterwards and she voiced a specific concern about Wheeltrans. Well Jem, if you're reading this, I have a solution to that concern. We can discuss it at the meet & greet next Wednesday at my favourite neighbourhood fellafel place The Yalla Cafe. That will help me decide where my vote goes. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. There is some interesting general information on the Toronto municipal elections page.

    ReplyDelete