Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Yay! I have my chair back


My power chair is now repaired and Sam of Medi-Chair brought it today. It took about three weeks. A couple of people asked my why it took so long. Well, it's not the repair itself as Sam said it took about three hours yesterday. It's the process. He has to send a quote to ODSP and they have to approve it. That took two weeks. Then he ordered the parts from Invacare in Ohio. I was also asked about tips about repairs. But unless the chair was purchased privately, the owner should have an established vendor. And I call ODSP first anyway and they send the work order to Medi-Chair.





Sam told me three weeks ago that he would probably have to replace the motors. As it turns out, he only had to replace the brushes and said they had melted in one of the motors. He said this was mostly the result of heavy usage. I will be the first to admit that I use the chair a lot. I have to. But I suspect the weather this winter didn't help much. Sam also replaced the battery. He said it was losing power and would have needed replacement in the near future anyway. He also replaced my armrests which were showing signs of wear. So the repair cost the ODSP $1100. So thanks to them for paying but they're still incompetent dopes. Stay tuned for more about that. Obviously I'm happy to have my chair back mainly because it's made for me. The loaner was made for somebody a lot shorter. And I prefer the footplates on my chair instead of footrests.

No comments:

Post a Comment