Monday, June 09, 2008

Yahoo LAUNCHCAST Song Of The Day-Jennifer Hudson


Artist:Jennifer Hudson

Song:And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going

Album:Dreamgirls:Music From The Motion Picture:Deluxe Edition




I've always been a big fan of Michael Bennett's Broadway show Dreamgirls. Anything that gives black performers the opportunity to showcase their talents is a good thing. Henry Krieger & Tom Eyen wrote the songs and the showstopper And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going made Jennifer Holliday a star. So I wasn't particularly surprised when the film version of that same song won Jennifer Hudson an Oscar. Check out the blog archives for my review of the film Dreamgirls. Can Jennifer Hudson capitalize on this to launch a music career? She was born Sept. 12, 1981 in Chicago. She was singing on Disney Cruise Lines when she auditioned for American Idol in 2004. She finished seventh. Instead of signing a record contract, she auditioned for the role of Effie in the film version of Dreamgirls, the character based on Florence Ballard of The Supremes. She nailed it and won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar. This Deluxe Edition of the soundtrack has a second CD of extras including a disco remix of And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going. Jennifer also appears in the new film Sex And The City and has a song on the soundtrack. She has signed with Arista Records and her debut CD Jennifer Hudson will be out in September. But you can listen to music from the CD on her MySpace http://www.myspace.com/jenniferhudson The debut single Spotlight will be released tomorrow and was written & produced by R & B "It Boy" Ne-Yo with the Norwegian duo Stargate. I think she still sounds more Broadway than R & B. While we're waiting for the video, here's Jennifer Hudson performing And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going from the film Dreamgirls.

No comments:

Post a Comment