Thursday, October 29, 2009

Toughill out, Modafferi in


The other day Strikeforce announced that Erin Toughill has been forced to pull out of her Nov. 7 match against Marloes Coenen for health reasons. The rumour mill immediately started that Erin was having trouble making weight. Don't look at me. I don't start rumours. I usually debunk them. To put a stop to this nonsense, Erin told MMA Weekly today that she started having abdominal pains about a month ago. An examination revealed that she has ovarian cysts. She's having that taken care of and she'll be as good as new in the new year. Her health is more important than any fight. Meanwhile, Strikeforce decided to postpone the scheduled Nov. 20 Sarah Kaufman vs Takayo Hashi fight until ther new year. Sarah says they didn't give a reason but if I had to guess, I suggest that they couldn't get Hashi a visa in time. So we all figured there would be no opponent of Marloes but it was reported today that Roxanne Modafferi has taken the fight on short notice. But it still won't be on TV. BOOOOOO!!!!!! I don't like the fight anyway. It sets Roxy up for a one shot deal. I would rather see her fight within her weight class. And even if Roxy wins, then she has to face Cyborg and I REALLY don't want to see that. Of course you may want to remind me that Roxy won over Marloes two years ago. I know all about it. It was at the K-Grace open weight tournament May 2007. Here's a link to my article about that tournament including Roxy's post fight video interview http://frankp316.blogspot.com/2007/05/modafferi-wins-k-grace-tournament.html She was very fortunate to win by split decision. Don't you think Marloes remembers that too? Oh and that $10K that she won. Guess what? None of the fighters were paid and K-Grace went belly up by the end of the year. It was their only show. So I like Roxy. She reads this blog. But I don't BS anyone and she's taking this fight on short notice with a ten year veteran looking for redemption for a split decision loss. If Roxy wins, she has to face Cyborg. If she loses, she gets a one way ticket to Palookaville. She's got a long road to hoe and we don't even get to see it. Phooey!

No comments:

Post a Comment