Saturday, February 06, 2010

Jango Song Of The Day-The Emotions

Artist:The Emotions
Song:Best Of My Love
Album:Best Of My Love: The Best Of The Emorions





The Emotions topped the charts with Best Of My Love in 1977 and they had some other hits in the 70s. Like a lot of R & B groups, they are a family group. Sisters Pamela, Sheila and Wanda Hutchinson were born in Chicago and grew up singing in church as The Sunbeams. In 1968, they changed their name to The Emotions and signed with Stax. The Isaac Hayes/David Porter song So I Can Love You was a top five R & B hit in 1969. When Stax went bankrupt in 1975, they signed with Maurice White's new label ARC Records. They had known White in the 60s from his Chess session drummer days and of course he was now leader of Earth, Wind & Fire. Their 1976 album Flowers went gold and they had a dance hit with I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love. Their 1977 follow up Rejoice did even better. The album went platinum and Best Of My Love topped the Billboard Hot 100 for five weeks. Of course Maurice White produced the song and co-wrote it with EW&F guitarist Al McKay. They had another big hit with Boogie Wonderland in 1979. Of course nothing lasts forever and The Emotions faded in the early 80s. You can get all their ARC hits on this comp. Best Of My Love is one of those fondly remembered songs that is constantly covered and sampled by hip hop guys. The Emotions still perform occasionally today. Here's The Emotions performing Best Of My Love on The Midnight Special 1977.

No comments:

Post a Comment