Sunday, February 28, 2010

MIKU announces retirement

DEEP Women's Lightweight Champion MIKU announced at today's DEEP show that she will retire from MMA. The retirement ceremony will be at the Apr. 17 DEEP show. If there is an exhibition match on the show, DEEP matchmaker Shigeru Saeki said Megumi Fujii will be the opponent. Megumi was at today's show. It's been rumoured for about a month that MIKU would retire due to personal problems causing deep depression. MIKU said at the end of last year that she made the decision to retire. It reminds me a bit of when joshi wrestler Arisa Nakajima retired last spring. All the talent and potential in the world won't help if depression is clouding a person's mind. I guess MIKU could come back if she feels better. But the truth is if she's not healthy mentally, taking a break is the best option. Saeki said he had planned on MIKU vs Fujii this summer. Not anymore. What a waste. What about the title belt? They could turn it into a JEWELS title belt. Fujii is the obvious favourite. I don't think there's anyone in either JEWELS or VALKYRIE who could beat her though I'm sure Mika Nagano would like the opportunity. So it's a very sad day but as I said I've known about this for a month so I'm not surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment