Friday, September 17, 2010

Big emergency solved by H.M.E. Ltd.

H.M.E. Ltd.
So if you were following me on Twitter yesterday, you'll know that I had a problem with my powerchair while I was at McDonalds for breakfast yesterday. All of a sudden, it just quit. It was raining outside so I thought that rain had gotten inside the motor. But I've been out in the rain many times with no issues. But it wouldn't start. It was the first time I ever had a problem away from home. So I called the ODSP and Medi-Chair. Medi-Chair did not have any technicians available and there was also the possibility that I would need a loaner if the technician couldn't fix the chair. ODSP called Shoppers Home Health Care and they weren't going to be able to get anyone to my location quickly enough. It's a little pathetic because they're the biggest company in the mobility business in Toronto. So I called ODSP and they contacted H.M.E. Ltd. and H.M.E. called me back in about five minutes. I was told that one of their technicians was at Woodbine Centre and he would call me as soon as he was finished there. The girl on the phone told me he would be over around 2PM. He did exactly that. He called me to confirm my location and Eugene arrived just after 2PM. After looking at the chair, he decided that it was not the motor but it could be the joystick or the two batteries. He asked me how old the chair is and if the batteries had ever been replaced. I said no so he looked at them and decided that one of the batteries was dead. But he replaced them both because obviously he didn't know which one was dead. He carries batteries in his truck so I assume this is a very common problem. I asked Eugene questions because I planned to write about this but I didn't question his decision as I believed he knew what he was doing. And that's been my experience with powerchair technicians. I don't know anything and he's the pro so I'm going to trust him unless he gives me a reason not to trust him. Once the new batteries were installed, the chair was fixed. He said he was guessing but I figured it was an educated guess. All's well that ends well. And I didn't need a loaner. Eugene told me that batteries should be replaced as part of regular maintenance. But ODSP only approves a repair if I request it. Maybe routine wheelchair maintenance should be part of their procedures. I'll know better in the future because I will be eligible for a new powerchair Jan. 2011. And after yesterday, H.M.E. might get that business. Stay tuned as I plan to write about that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment