Friday, October 01, 2010

Megumi Fujii vs Zoila Frausto set for Bellator 115lb tournament final

Last night the Bellator 115lb women's tournament semi-finals were in Lake Charles, LA. A lot of folks missed Megumi Fujii vs Lisa Ward because the feed cut out. And that's the video I have for you. I have not seen the Zoila Frausto vs Jessica Aguilar match online. But there was some controversy about the judging. Zoila won by split decision and a lot of fans think Jessica won. Two judges scored it 30-27 for Zoila and the other scored it 30-27 for Jessica. I thought the match was more like three rounds of sparring than a real MMA match. There's no way any judge had any business scoring it 30-27 either way. I thought the first two rounds were more or less even and I thought Jessica won the third round. So I scored it 29-28 for Jessica. I don't know what the judges were watching but I thought Jessica made a very serious tactical error by not going back to her wrestling skills when Zoila seemed to be running out of gas. Depending on judges to give the right decision in a close fight is never a good strategy. I don't think either of them fought well. But Zoila squeaked through and now she has to face Megumi Fujii in the final Oct. 28 in Hollywood, FL. Fujii's win over Lisa Ward was typical of her and the complete opposite of the previous match. She looked for an opening, found it and the fight was over in 1:39 with an armbar. Megumi's solution for poor judging is don't give them anything to do. She has 19 submissions in 22 matches. She knows how to finish. And I expect her to do the same to Zoila. Megumi's quickness and technique will be too much for Zoila. And I haven't seen anything from Zoila in this tournament that makes me think she can hang with Megumi. She has given two poor performances. She won't get away with that stuff with Megumi. Enjoy the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment