Sunday, October 31, 2010

Zoila Frausto has the Bellator 115lb Championship handed to her on a silver platter by incompetent judges

So I finally got a chance to again watch the match between Zoila Frausto and Megumi Fujii. My first instinct after the fight on Thursday was that Megumi was robbed by horrible incompetent judging. After watching it again, I don't feel any different. I don't think Zoila did enough to win the fight. In fairness, I think it was a serious strategic error for Megumi to continue to trade blows with her. Jessica Aguilar made the same mistake and look what happened. For someone as accomplished as Megumi to play Zoila's game instead of playing her own game doesn't make sense. And Josh Barnett said she did not follow the game plan. So I don't know what got into her but it didn't work out. Even standing, Megumi controlled the cage and was a more accurate puncher. Zoila wasn't busy enough for me though the punches that did land were harder. Maybe that's what judges are looking for. One judge scored it 48-47 Zoila. The second judge scored it 48-47 Megumi. But judge Rich Green scored it 49-46 for Zoila. What the hell was he watching? Round one is a good example of the problem. Megumi controlled the cage and was more effective until Zoila's high kick scored with 15 seconds left in the round. I can only assume that Zoila was given the round based on that. The funny part is that Zoila throws those kicks all the time and they rarely connect. So it could be described as a lucky shot. You don't score rounds based on a lucky shot in the last 15 seconds and ignore the rest of the round. It's poor judging. I thought Zoila won round three and a couple others were very close. But Megumi won the fight. She just didn't get the call. Her mistake was letting it go the distance. She needed to do more of what she usually does. Zoila seemed to handle the weight cut a lot better on this occasion. She looked a lot better. But championship belt or not, I still think she's more lucky than good. She said before the fight that she wouldn't fight at 115 anymore. But she was waffling after the show. So I expect Jessica Aguilar to be first in line for a title shot. That decision was worse than this one. And I'm sure we'll see Megumi again as well. Enjoy the match video!


No comments:

Post a Comment