Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The process to get a new powerchair begins

The Quickie Xplore
In Ontario, an Ontario Disability Support Program client is eligible for a new wheelchair mostly paid for by the provincial government every five years. So that means I can apply for a new powerchair. Someone on Twitter asked me if there is something wrong with my current powerchair. Of course it still works. But the battery failure a few months ago indicates that it's nearing the end of its life. After all, it is a mechanical device and I have had several repairs including replacing batteries and motors. And I am a heavy user. So today I met with occupational therapist Sheryl Winkler and H.M.E. rep John Crawford to begin the process of getting a new powerchair. And of course I will write about every step because I believe others can benefit from my experience. I don't know if anyone has ever written about this. It starts today with an assessment from an occupational therapist to determine my current needs. And then John arrived with a Quickie Xplore powerchair mostly to take measurements and discuss seating requirements. My current powerchair is an Invacare Storm TDX4. My previous vendor suggested that I should just get the same model chair if I am happy with it. It's OK but as a heavy user, I just don't think it's durable enough. And I would also like a smoother ride. I discussed this with John when he visited me a couple of weeks ago. So the Quickie Xplore has a heavy duty version and an independent suspension. If you look at the picture, I don't like that style of footrest. I prefer footplates because it makes it easier for me to transfer to and from the chair. I expect to get similar seating. I prefer a gel cushion to other types and I need lumbar support in my backrest. I don't need tilt or anything like that. I am probably larger than average as I am over six feet tall. And that's why John was taking measurements because everyone's needs are different. So now that the assessment is done, John begins the tedious task of paperwork to get approval from the Assisted Devices Program. He knows what to do. He's been doing this for a long time and he knows how to get ADP approval. They both told me that they have to say that the chair is dying. That made me laugh. Then John said the chair is dying. I just don't know it yet. Well, he's the expert. What do I know? It's just ridiculous the hoops a disabled person has to jump through to get anything in Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment