Sunday, January 08, 2012

Will Meisha Tate vs Ronda Rousey be the main event of the Mar. 3 Strikeforce show?

So after all the Twitter squabbles and ridiculous posturing by the current Strikeforce 135lb champion, Miesha Tate will defend that title on the Mar. 3 Strikeforce show at Columbus, OH. This was reported on Wednesday by MMA Weekly and confirmed by Scott Coker shortly afterwards. But Meisha continued to call the fight a rumour. I will never understand why fighters need to lie about this stuff. Ronda said she hadn't signed the fight agreement yet and she's on vacation right now. I don't know why Meisha couldn't say that. Because that was the truth. The main event of this show is supposed to be Daniel Cormier vs Josh Barnett in the Heavyweight tournament final. But Cormier is recovering from a broken hand and may not be ready. If he isn't ready, this will be the main event of the show. Despite all the whining about Ronda's lack of MMA experience, it remains to be seen if anyone can handle her quickness. We all know what Ronda's strategy will be. It doesn't mean she can be stopped. Strikeforce also announced that Sarah Kaufman will face Alexis Davis on this show. Sarah beat Alexis back in 2007 and if Sarah is on her game, I expect her to win and then face the winner of the title fight. But if Sarah is off her game, Alexis could exploit that. I think she's a smarter fighter than a few years ago. Now, a bit of a follow up from yesterday. About five minutes after I finished writing about Cris Cyborg, she posted her reason...er...excuse for testing positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol. She said she unknowingly took a diet supplement containing the banned substance. I like my excuse better. It's easier to defend on appeal. It's more plausible. I'm not a pharmacist and I don't play one on TV. But I'm sure there are no diet supplements containing stanozolol and celebrity pharmacist Victor Conte confirmed that on Twiiter last night. He's the expert. If Cris appeals, I don't expect the given scenario to earn her a reduction of her suspension. No one believes her.

No comments:

Post a Comment