Saturday, March 23, 2013

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-The Marvelows

Artist:The Marvelows
Song:I Do
Album:The Only Doo-Wop Collection You'll Ever Need



The Marvelows had their biggest hit in 1965 with I Do. I'm sure most fans hear this song and wonder which Motown group recorded it. But The Marvelows were from Chicago Heights, IL. Melvin Mason formed The Marvelows with Frank and Johnny Paden, Willie "Sonny" Stephenson and Mason's wife's cousin Jesse Smith. Smith's mother was schoolmates with producer Johnny Pate. Pate produced The Impressions and was Chicago A & R director for ABC-Paramount Records. He signed The Marvelows and they recorded four singles. I Do was the last single and it reached #37 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was a top ten R & B hit. The group used the song to warm up so it was recorded as an afterthought. It is a throwback to doo wop. You can get it on this Shout Factory 2CD doo wop comp which was compiled by the same folks who did the now unavailable The Doo Wop Box. Smith left The Marvelows in 1966 and was replaced by Andrew Thomas. The group changed their name to The Mighty Marvelows to avoid being confused with The Marvellos. They charted in 1968 with In The Morning and recorded an album. Then they split up in 1969. They reunited briefly in 1974. I Do got a boost and The Marvelows made some royalty money when J. Geils Band recorded I Do on their 1982 album Showtime. I'm sure many fans have discovered the original through that cover. Here's a video for I Do by The Marvelows.

No comments:

Post a Comment