Sunday, July 28, 2013

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-UFC Double Feature

There were two women's matches on last night's UFC show. Of course the Big Bad Blog has got both fight videos covered along with my analysis. On the main show, Liz Carmouche beat Jessica Andrade by a second round TKO. I thought the first round was close but I gave it to Liz 10-9. She had two takedowns but I thought Jessica's takedown was really good and I thought she should have done more with the guillotine choke. Jessica has gotten submissions with the guillotine. Unfortunately, Jessica walked right into a takedown at the start of round two and she just couldn't get out from under. She blocked a lot of the punches and that's why it took so long for the fight to be stopped. Liz says she wants another title shot. I don't see that but maybe she could face Cat Zingano when Cat returns. The other fight was on the prelims. It was Julie Kedzie vs Germaine De Randamie. I think I described this as a Strikeforce contract burn match. I don't think either fighter is a contender. When someone asked me about this fight, I thought it would be a split decision. Of course Julie was the fan favourite. But I thought Germaine would be a problem for her. She isn't going to beat Germaine at kickboxing. So Julie needed to take her down. She did in round two but Julie didn't advance her position. She needed to do more. Julie took her down again at the end of round three but Germaine landed punches from the bottom. Germaine won the standup exchanges so I scored it 29-28 for Germaine. One judge scored it 29-28 for Germaine. The second judge scored it 29-28 for Julie. And the third judge scored it 30-27 for Germaine. There was a lot of fan howling about the 30-27. I thought the 29-28 for Julie was worse. The problem is some judges will minimize the takedowns if the fighter is ineffective. You have to give some credit to Germaine for defending. That explains the 30-27. On the other hand, some judges value top position even if the fighter on the bottom is more effective. That's how a judge scores it 29-28 for Julie. Both are wrong but not giving credit to effectiveness from the bottom is worse. That's my take. Enjoy the fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment