Sunday, February 23, 2014

Alexis Davis beats Jessica Eye by split decision

Here's the match video of Alexis Davis vs Jessica Eye from UFC 170. I will never understand why a BJJ black belt like Alexis Davis insists on trying to be a kickboxer. It makes no sense especially against a striker like Jessica Eye who has no ground game. And that's what we saw in this fight. I don't believe Alexis is a good enough striker to beat anyone. It's terrible strategy. And that's the story of this fight. I thought Jessica landed better strikes in round one. But Alexis scored a takedown at the end of the round. And though I don't believe in stealing rounds, some judges will score that round for Alexis because of the takedown. And Jessica's corner told her that. I scored it 10-9 Jessica. In the second round, Alexis took Jessica down as she should have been doing all along. And though she was never close to finishing the fight, I scored it 10-9 for Alexis. The third round was very similar to round one and I thought Jessica won the round 10-9. So I scored the fight 29-28 for Jessica. But I expected a split decision. Judge Chris Lee scored it 29-28 Jessica with rounds 1 & 3 for Jessica. So he scored it the same as me. Junichiro Kamijo scored it 29-28 for Alexis with rounds 1 & 2 for Alexis. So he thought Alexis stole round one with the takedown. Marcos Rosales scored it 29-28 for Alexis with rounds 2 & 3 for Alexis. The lesson Jessica should learn from this is she can't leave fights that close because fights will go against her half the time. And that she needs to improve her ground game to add a second dimension. Trying to outpoint opponents isn't good enough and like most female fighters, she doesn't punch hard enough to knock anyone out. So now Alexis Davis wants a title shot. I think if Cat Zingano is ready for a title shot, she'll get it. But based on this fight, I wouldn't give Alexis a title shot anyway. She needs to be more dominant and use her BJJ more. Split decision wins shouldn't result in title shots. Enjoy the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment