Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Analysis of Feb. 27 Invicta show

This morning Invicta announced their next show will be Feb. 27 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. There's a joint with a long history. It used to host awards shows, concerts along with pro wrestling and boxing. It's an old building so there hasn't been as much there recently. This show is the day before Ronda Rousey defends her UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship against Cat Zingano at the Staples Center. Invicta should get an attendance boost from that. This show will be on UFC Fight Pass and I will watch it on my new TV using Roku. No more sitting in front of a computer screen for me. Not surprisingly, Cris Cyborg will headline this show defending her belt against Charmaine Tweet. I don't see this fight getting past the first round. But that's besides the point. The elephant in the room is that Lorenzo Fertitta is once again in UFC contract talks with Cyborg. He has been clear that they are talking with her about 135lb. Of course she has never fought at 135. And she even announced a couple of months ago that she wouldn't try to drop to 135 anymore. I guess money talks. She has wasted so much time waffling about this for the last couple of years that I don't think she can be trusted to commit to 135. But this is the last fight of her Invicta contract and Fertitta may want to keep her from going to Bellator. Don't be surprised if Cyborg signs with the UFC right after this show. Other matches on the main card include Mexican Alexa Grasso vs MIZUKI. Alexa's last win in Invicta was a squash over Alida Gray. MIZUKI is a big step up in competition for her. MIZUKI lost her last fight by split decision to Karolina Kowalkiewicz because she was so concerned about defense she forgot about offense. We'll see if MIZUKI can correct that mistake. There could be a UFC contract in her future if she wins. There is no future for her in DEEP JEWELS. Mexican fighter Irene Aldana will face Melanie Lacroix. Irene was supposed to fight on the Dec. Invicta show but she got sick. Based on what I have seen of her, I like Alexa lot better than her. Melanie fought for EliteXC in 2008 so the promoter knows her. Then she took six years off and returned recently for BAMMA USA and has a 1-1 record. Should she even be on the main card? 6-0 DeAnna Bennett is dropping to 115 to fight Lynn Alvarez. On the Dec. Invicta show, DeAnna won over Jennifer Maia by unanimous decision. But I thought Jennifer won the fight. Obviously she is dropping to 115 to get to the UFC. I have seen Lynn before but I haven't been impressed with her. I don't see her winning this fight. In the prelims, Jamie Moyle will face JJ Aldrich. Both won their Invicta debuts. Brianna Van Buren will face Amy Cadwell Montenegro, Christine Stanley will face Emily Corso and Kristi Lopez will face Aspen Ladd. All six fighters will make their Invicta debuts and Aspen is a 19 year old making her pro debut. I don't pretend to know anything about them so I'll just watch the fights like the rest of you.

1 comment:

  1. If this show is on UFC Fight pass I will miss it. But do not care. I will read the tweets and then either watch the videos on your blog or YouTube. As for Cyborg I wish her luck like the rest of the fighters. I figure they all want to go the UFC where the money is. Well good luck to all of them. Enjoy the show Frank. I just do not feel like paying for UFC fight pass or PPV's. Its not in my budget at this point.

    ReplyDelete