Thursday, January 15, 2015

Felice Herrig vs Paige VanZant added to Apr. 18 UFC show

The UFC announced on last night's episode of UFC Tonight that Felice Herrig will face Paige VanZant on UFC on FOX 15 Apr. 18 at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. I expect this Battle of the Blondes to be on the main card of that show. Paige was supposed to be on TUF 20 but was too young to be in the house. She won her UFC debut over Kailin Curran. As I said when that fight was announced, I didn't think it belonged on a UFC show and was better suited for the Invicta prelims. After Paige won, all of these supposed experts were calling her a rising star. I'm not so sure because I don't think Kailin is a UFC caliber fighter. Of course Felice is a lot more experienced. So I think she's a decent test for Paige. Felice is mainly a kickboxer who tends to have problems against opponents who have good ground games. We saw this in the TUF 20 house when she fought Randa Markos. Felice won easily over Lisa Ellis on the TUF Finale. But Lisa is undersized. She really should be fighting at 105lb. And she had a bad knee. And she has a daughter at home and seems conflicted about fighting these days. UFC money is such a temptation. The one thing I like about Felice is that win or lose, she is an awesome self promoter. The UFC should have her teach self promotion to fighters because plenty of them need help. So I expect a lot of exhibitionism especially at the weigh ins. I'm not sure how good the fight will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment