Sunday, March 01, 2015

Big Bad Blog Video Theater-Holly Holm vs Raquel Pennington

Here's the match video of Holly Holm vs Raquel Pennington from last night's UFC show in Los Angeles. Holly Holm is the former boxing champ trying to conquer MMA. Based on her undefeated record over tomato cans, she is thought to be the boxing kryptonite to Ronda Rousey's judo. Some people are so dopey. I thought Raquel would be a good gauge to see where Holm is in her MMA development. Based on this fight, I think Holly has potential but she also has work to do before she can contend for a title. She almost gave this fight away. Holly looked very nervous before the fight and I thought if Raquel came out aggressively, she might have something for Holly. But she didn't. Holly landed more punches in round one and she also stuffed several takedowns. Raquel needed to be busier and her coach Marc Fiore told her that between rounds. She finally got the message and won round three. Raquel could have won that fight. It's not like Holly ever hurt her. Holly just threw more punches in the first two rounds. So I scored the fight 29-28 for Holly. The judges gave her a split decision. That could be a good thing for Holly if it wakes her up and she realizes that it's not going to get easier as she goes up the ladder. To contend for a title, she needs to dominate and she didn't do that in this fight. I'm sure some were surprised by that. I was not surprised as she hadn't beaten anyone decent. I saw some things I liked and I saw things I didn't like. She's a long way from being Ronda Rousey kryptonite. Enjoy the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment