Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Maryna Moroz vs Valerie Letourneau added to Aug. 23 UFC show

Maryna Moroz
For the first time, the UFC is going to Saskatoon, SK Aug. 23 at the SakTel Centre. A women's Strawweight bout was one of the fights announced at a press conference. This show will air on Fox Sports 1 and TSN but I expect this fight will be on the prelims. It will be Maryna Moroz vs Valerie Letourneau. Maryna won her UFC debut with an upset win over Joanne Calderwood in Poland in March. She used an armbar from bottom position which seems to be her favourite move. I wasn't surprised that she won but it was quicker than expected. She trains with her husband in the Ukraine and he's a former boxer. So I think she has some skills and she should be the favourite in this fight. I bet when she was told she was fighting in Saskatoon, she had to look it up on a map. As the very first Canadian female MMA fighter, Valerie has already fought across Canada. She dropped to 115lb for her last fight in Montreal in March and she beat Jessica Rakoczy easily by unanimous decision. I wasn't impressed with either of them and Valerie admitted the weight cut was difficult. These days she trains at American Top Team in Florida. Valerie is mainly a striker but I see her having problems with Maryna's quickness and strength. I think she has to cut too much weight to be effective and I would rather see her fight at 125lb. in Invicta.

No comments:

Post a Comment