Sunday, November 27, 2016

AccuRadio Song Of The Day-Today

Artist:Today
Song:I Got The Feeling
Album:The New Formula





Today was an R&B group that had brief success in the early days of the New Jack Swing movement. They split up after two albums. Today started out in 1984 in Englewood, NJ as The Gents. The members were Lee "Bubba" Drakeford, Larry Singletary, Wes Adams and Larry McCain. They were introduced to uberproducer Teddy Riley and he changed their name to Today and got them a record deal with MCA Records. It was around this time that MCA bought Motown and put Jheryl Busby in charge. Today was moved to Motown and the idea was to promote them as the "new" Four Tops. Today's 1988 debut CD was produced by Riley and partner Gene Griffin. The singles Him Or Me and Girl I Got My Eyes On You did well on the R&B charts. But Riley was not involved with the 1990 album The New Formula. Griffin was still involved but I guess Today were upset that Riley wasn't around. I guess this was around the time that Riley split with Griffin. I Got The Feeling was produced and written by Elliott "Dr. Freeze" Straite who also produced Bell Biv Devoe's Poison. I Got The Feeling reached #12 on the R&B Singles chart. There has been renewed interest in this song after it was used in the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Drakeford left to go solo. He recorded three albums as Big Bub. The rest of the group tried to continue but they were unsuccessful. Today reunited in 2010 and they released a gospel CD. Here's the video for I Got The Feeling by Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment